C-live

Friday, May 27, 2016

Is There Anything Beyond Film Extra Work?

In my book, The Deserting Caricature Artist, there is an inclusion of my background acting work in addition to details of my caricature and freelance cartoon artwork. There may be quite a few of us wishing to go back in time and remove erroneous decisions made and occupations worth avoiding. My admittance there are films I should not have any involvement in whatsoever.When the features were released, I would later be offended by the active content of sexuality, violence, and raw, foul language. 
It could same like other performers you wish your close family and friends do not become aware of the cinematic products of your participation. Movies that would trouble and affect their consciousness if seen. That consequence might be unavoidable if they decide to observe the films. In the book, I acknowledge my sense of sorrow of an intense action film I served as a journalist film extra, Salt starring Angelina Jolie. 
Photo by Yuganov Konstantin
You may be able to engage in it creatively as a minor actor or film extra, but if you are not part of storytelling process in writing, producing, and directing there are risks of being disturbingly surprised after the movies arrived at hometown theaters or are streaming online in someone's dining room. Background children actors currently are featuring in R-rated movies (example, The Boss, 2016) their parents and guardians might keep them from watching. Some youth performers might view it as an adult world step-up into Hollywood to be featuring in an R-rated film, especially taking a significant part in scenes of sensuality. Could there be a realization of career advancement, the difference between what is truthfully mature and beneficial and what is juvenile and impedimental for one's personal growth? What seems unfortunate nowadays are actors often to be placing in uncomfortable positions of accepting roles that are un-graceful, to say the least, to keep their metier, their "life's calling" on the super celluloid freeway.
They may find themselves portraying characters they detest with the motivations they avert having in real life. If you read the current films' advisory content on sites like Kids in Mind and Common Sense. It is easy to note chaste borderlines been a far crossing over. Of a recent superhero movie, did you ever thought Clark Kent/Superman would be living together with Lois Lane unmarried? I did not see the blockbuster film, Batman V. Superman; for sure, times are altering since Steve Reeves flew the skies of Metropolis. Perhaps, I should not at all be surprised. In lands of the domino effect, same-sex marriages are lawfully permitted with increasing civil rights, and people with animals or mannequins unions are prompting to be legalizing. There is a movie entitled Urge my learning being under production last year about a radical drug inducing people to engage in irrational behaviors including rampant fornication. That is what I read of a few casting notices. How would be a 'big break' in the acting profession if a person portrays an uncontrollable passion addict? It is unlikely a session therapy documentary for trendy drug addiction, but more likely a slick popcorn flick made to entertain millions to be earning billions of dollars in revenue. 

Many pop culture-cine-seeking patrons will line up, paying to see those kinds of movies. How much would you accept monetary to act in such unblushing parts; a couple of million, several thousand or a few hundred dollars? It may be easier to rationalize persons deserving occupations that do not diminish their healthy esteem and values. Of course, there are nobler film productions than this year's The Boss and the forthcoming Urge. Some several years ago my siblings inquired about getting into background acting. I truthfully revealed to them it isn't worth it and warned them of the pending letdowns. Why paint a pie-in-sky scenario of the film industry if it didn't exist for you? A reason likely moving me to reflect in The Deserting Caricature Artist the advice aspirating screen artists may want to investigate personally and honestly if a film career is a worthy pursuit in life.
In 2007 on the set of the Judge Lopez show I was listening to a fellow background actor who contributed to 2001 Spiderman and 1971 The French Connection with Gene Hackman. The aging film extra is of many who established a career in background acting. By his expressions, he for sure enjoyed the work relishing the experiences and the long line of films he participated. Little to wonder in a couple of recent films Hackman was starring in, his paychecks and stature may surpass the life's work of that still unknown gentleman. Not too startlingly today a much younger superstar actor may have the same effect at the box office. There appears to be an open entry for anyone to stride through. It may not swing open door for every hard-working and dedicated artist; countless ones might find it sealing shut then waiting for it to be reopening for them, to squeeze in a tightening space to accomplish recognition. There is a lot I do not know. There is so much of the film and acting profession unknown to me, do you nonetheless sense a bleak picture of reality said here?
The answer smacked me hard, but I should not be answering for everyone else because each person eventually must decide and bear their burdens. Perhaps someone out there believes,"it will be different for me, I'll win over Tinseltown!" Please ponder not making the same mistakes I and various others achieved in accessing those factual conclusions. In spite of the pending loss of glamor, fame and riches you may spare yourself hurting disappointments, abasements, uncertain competition, save much time and expenses. Nonetheless, it is your choice. Recently I found online a dated blog post (circa 2007-2009?) about my first speaking role and am re-posting here below. It was originally from my deleted blog site, Curtis on the News. Peoples' expectations in living happy lives future-wise can change for the better.


"It was already and for so long beknowing an illusion. A subsequent realization is the choosing whatever or not to be experiencing like that as a modernized fable."



Abhidya: My First Speaking Role

During the year 2006, I contributed to a short film, Abhidya. It is a drama which exposes a conflict of interest between two female associates amid a broad social concern regarding the poor of India. The film was directed by Sudhir Venkatesh (or A.V. Sudhir) and produced by Larry Kamerman. I was brought on the project by associate producer and casting director Miki Holiday (director of Stolen Love, 2006) after responding to her online classified posting seeking background actors.We exchanged communication over the phone and soon I was on my way to the film set. So I took the train to New York City thinking what Abhidya could be about. Of the movie title, Abhidya is an Indian-Sanskrit language word meaning desire. It also serves as the last name of the main character.
At the time, I was seeking film experience and Abhidya provided it unexpectedly for me. I ended up having a speaking part. But it was just a couple of words or so in one scene. In that scene, I introduce myself as a guest at a small social gathering honoring a professor. My friends and family were wondering if they would ever see me in a film production. I had wondered too and was surprised to find the finished film, Abhidya online from its website, Genco Film Company. Since this is a news commentary blog, it was not much of a bad idea to highlight the fictional film here. It includes social concerns including poverty and immigration.
You will not see me too clearly when the actress, Collen Summa (portraying Lizann) greets answering her door. It is inside a darkened entry as I walk in Lizann's apartment. But it is likely you'll remember my film name given by the director; Doug Bracket. It was forming from my nickname Douglas. You should hear my voice. My minor, minor role here is uncredited. The film stars Indian actress, Ami Shulkia as Chita Abhidya, a young social worker addressing an immediate plight of an immigrant laborer.
Please by aware in at least two scenes the film contains considerable profanity, one in an argumentive discussion. I had no control over that. Someone worthy of this movie production the public might wish to acknowledge is the costume designer, Cassidy Mosher. Her service to Abhidya adds to the film's overall style and texture. There are other hard working film crew members. If you are inquiring, I had another minor speaking part in the independent feature, Writer's Block (director by Jazzmyn Banks, 2009). My acting resume is not very extensive.


In the image above of the Apple iPad, you see a caricature of Daljit Dhaliwal. She is the Indian newscaster featured in The Deserting Caricature Artist. Depending on what e-book app you might be able to zoom out or enlarge the individual pictures. Not all apps will do this and may the keep the drawings at the same unchangeable pre-formatted to the screen size of the device.



Apologies are thus standing if you do not understand Mandarin Chinese language.



No comments:

Post a Comment